We are the University of Portsmouth BreakDance Society. We are the funkiest society where you can learn, train, perform and better yourself through Breakin’ (commercially known as BreakDancing). We are the most energetic, diverse and passionate so if you’re interested to learn how to Breakdance then you’re at the right place.
What you learn
If you’re interested to master the gravity defying moves such as Windmills, Head spins and freezes, or transform your ability to dance Top rock (the upstanding element of breakin’), then you’re at the right place. You will also learn how to freestyle, develop your own moves and musicality.
This year we are partnering up with Bboy Sasha (Mr. Sasha Biloshisky) a professional Hip-Hop dancer, choreographer and a movement artist based in Portsmouth. He is the founder of Funk Format. His professional credits include Sean Paul, Alesha Dixon, Kylie Minogue, Olympics Opening Ceremony and HM The Queen Jubilee to name a few. You can find out more and follow Funk Format by going here www.funkformat.com
Levels / Abilities:
Our classes and additional training sessions are catered to all levels and abilities regardless whether you are a beginner, intermediate or advance.
Sessions / Classes:
Practice sessions will be held at the Student Union dance studio and Classes elsewhere within the university area. However, this may change depending on the number of people joining us.
We train and live by the culture of Hip-Hop:
Peace - Meet positive like-minded people.
Love - Creativity, personal growth and boosting self-esteem
Unity - Meeting people from all backgrounds with various skills and beliefs.
Having fun through Training, Socials, Events, Performances, Competition, Battles & Workshops
- Collaboration with other societies such as the Capoeira Society.
- Workshops with guests of various styles include Poppin’, House dance and freestyle Hip-Hop foundations but mainly breakin’.
- Participation at local and national competitions in cities such as Bournemouth, Southampton and London.
- Performances at local events such as Chinese New Year Extravaganza
- Putting our skills to the test and meeting other crews
- We also like to sneak in a cheeky Nando’s
Awards / Achievement
Society of the year 2005
Most diverse society 2007
FOLLOW US FOR MORE INFORMATION: