To campaign on the most important issues in our society.
"There’s never been a better time to be a socialist, or to join Portsmouth Socialist Students!
SocStu is a broad group: we aim to be an inclusive space for all leftists – regardless of your political position. So whether you’re a diehard Corbynista, academic Marxist, fancy setting up that anarchist commune out in the woods, or you’ve just thought about flirting with Orwell a couple of times, we’re the society for you.
We organise meetings, campaigns and socials so there’s a little of something for everyone. We’re active in Portsmouth as a community, and are eager to cooperate with other student, activist and community groups to build a more equal, sustainable and free society.
Last year our members were involved in a number of campaigns and other actions:
- We took part in an anti-fascist and refugee solidarity demonstration in Dover, and a further refugee solidarity demo organised in Portsmouth
- We cooperated with other political societies to create the University of Portsmouth Activist Network, which launched a campaign to get the university to grant 20 scholarships to refugees (https://www.facebook.com/groups/953164058082725/)
- We took part in two anti-cuts demonstrations in Portsmouth, making the case for a socialist alternative to austerity, poverty and misery
- We took part in the National Conference of Socialist Students, where we interacted and exchanged ideas with fellow socialist student groups from across the country.
- We supported the struggle against tuition fees by students in South Africa (http://socialiststudents.org.uk/wp/?p=1921#more-1921)
- Socialist Students held talks and meetings throughout the year to learn from each other and discuss radical and revolutionary ideas for changing society
We meet every week to discuss different topics of interest (often inviting guest speakers), plan our campaigns, and head down to the pub for a catch-up. As a political society and as a group of friends, we feel that we can offer a lot to all students, regardless of their politics. We hope to see you soon!
National organisation: http://socialiststudents.org.uk/wp/"
"First of all, by joining our society you will get acquainted with the socialist understanding of capitalist society and the programme that we are putting forward to change it from bottom up. Moreover, you will be actively involved in the most dynamic local, national and international struggles against injustice and inequality. On top of that, you will meet good and genuine people, who not only preach equality and solidarity but practice it on a daily basis.
The membership is free for now, but we could introduce a fee as our campaigns will grow and require us to produce materials and send representatives at demos and conferences outside Portsmouth.
So join us and be part of the largest and most active socialist student organisation in Britain! "
For more information on when and where we meet, and for any other queries, keep an eye on our Facebook page or contact our committee via our group's email address: email@example.com.
We look forward to meeting you!